Friday, April 10, 2009

April 10, 2009 Home Free

The morning was filled with a lot of anxiety and waiting, more anxiety and more waiting. Brett's past experiences with the removal of foreign objects has not been pleasant - wicked bladder spasms. So the thought of removing the catheter was bitter sweet -really making him anxious. Having to wait at the hospital for the cystogram was torture! He felt nauseous, his hands and nose were freezing, and was loosing the color in his face. Not a good scene! Not even my humor could distract him! Apparently, "they" were behind - like that never happens. Finally an end to the wait and off to X ray he goes. Good news, the bladder reconstruction is good - no leaks present. Next stop, Dr. Patel's office. Unfortunately, we had to wait there too. Yep, you guessed it, more anxiety. Now, he's really freaking out! I tried everything to keep him distracted. While he lie on the table looking so fashionable in his hospital gown and socks I examined his incisions (they look good by the way), I examined his ears, eyes, mouth, nose, and checked his lymph nodes. That worked for a few moments. Next I played with his toes and sang, "This Little Piggie" and had to laugh when I got to the last one who went wee wee wee all the way home. Oops - sorry Brett! My bag of tricks was about empty. At last, a knock at the door and in walks the nurse. Let me tell you, she was GOOD. She was talking to him and asking him questions, and unbeknownst to Brett, removing the catheter all at the same time. He didn't even feel it! No bladder spasms, no nothing! What was all the anxiety about! I told him he would be fine! Dr. Patel's visit was the grand finale. He expects Brett to recover much, much more quickly than the average patient and I so do I! He will need to refrain from physical activity for at least four weeks and follow up with a visit to Dr. Patel in six weeks. So it looks like we are HOME FREE! What a blessing!

1 comment:

  1. We are very happy for Brett! You guys have a safe trip home!

    Chad and Andrea

    ReplyDelete