Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Dec 3 2008 Diagnosis Prostate Cancer

Dec 3 2008 This morning I completed a 13 mile run with a friend of mine, we are training for the 2009 Disney Marathon. We talked throughout the run about various things, when we finished the run I asked him if I could pray for him, us and our families. I had a feeling that I shared with him about my anticipated results. I told him that I will not be surprised if they come back positive.

That evening I received a phone call from my urologist who informed me that the pathology report showed one of the samples from the left medial base displayed adenocarcinoma of the prostate involving 25% of the core with Gleason score 3+3=6 and that there were some atypical results in the left lateral apex. He is sending the samples to John Hopkins for a second opinion, but is doubtful they will be overturned. My urologist briefly discussed my options but was very matter of fact that for a 95% cure rate at 41 the prostatectomy is his recommendation.

He is very confident that we are looking at Stage 1, somewhere between T1 and T2 and doesn't feel the necessity for any further testing i.e. bone scan or CT pelvic scan.

Information on Gleason Score:http://www.phoenix5.org/glossary/Gleason_Score.html

Information on Stages/Staging of Prostate Cancer:http://www.phoenix5.org/staging.html

We informed Dr. Jenkins that we would be leaving Panama City for any type of treatment of surgery. So my Doctor has asked me to do some of my own research with respect to procedures and he provided me two facilities utilizing the Robotic method that he would use if the need arose, the first being the Global Robotics Institute in Celebration, FL (Dr. Vipul Patel) http://www.globalroboticsinstitute.com/ and the second UF Shands Gainesville, FL (Dr. Parekattil) http://www.shands.org/find/service/roboticprostatectomy.asp

Our initial research was based only on the daVicni prostatectomy, below is the available propaganda.

Robotic Prostatectomy Benefits – Short-Term and Long-Term:
The cutting edge da Vinci® Surgical System has revolutionized prostate cancer treatment with the advent of robotic prostate surgery, also known as robotic prostatectomy. Benefits of this minimally invasive procedure are realized by both the surgeon, through enhanced precision and visualization, and the patient, in short-term and long-term recovery.




Robotic prostatectomy benefits may include:
· Quicker return to normal activity
· Shorter hospitalization – most go home the next day
· Reduced risk of incontinence and impotence
· Less blood loss
· Reduced pain – most patients don’t even need narcotics after surgery
· Fewer complications
· Less scarring than traditional open surgery
· Less risk of infection

I pray that I am able to embrace this and use it for God's glory. We have not told our girls yet; we want to have a plan laid out before we tell them that their father has been diagnosed with cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment