Wednesday, January 7, 2009

November 8 2006

My sister Leisa at 50 had been in remission and re-diagnosed with Stage 4 breast cancer in July and my brother Robert at 62 had been diagnosed with prostate cancer. This led me to have a complete physical (not just the routine annual), my primary care provider (PCP) Dr. Stephen Armistead used my family history to order the testing; colonoscopy and urological (to include PSA and Digital Rectal Exam (DRE.)) All results were within acceptable ranges, diverticulitis and a polyp, PSA of 1.6 and no physical prostate issues.

A prostate-specific antigen (PSA) test measures the amount of prostate-specific antigen in the blood. PSA is released into a man's blood by his prostate gland. http://men.webmd.com/prostate-specific-antigen-psa

Total prostate-specific antigen (PSA)

Men younger than 40: Less than 2.5 nanograms per milliliter (ng/mL)
Men age 40 to 50: 0–2.5 ng/mL
Men age 51 to 60: 0–3.5 ng/mL

No comments:

Post a Comment